It has been a week since the carpet came out, and with the girls at Grandma’s once again, Kurt and I spent another eight hours working at the Berg.
Our primary goal was to pull out the vintage vinyl flooring that was uncovered in the upstairs when we tore out the hideous carpet.
We started in the back bedroom, where the old carpet pad had completely turned to dust. After we vacuumed, we found an old vinyl floor. (Fun fact #72: According to neighbors, this room was actually used as a kitchen once, when the second floor had been rented out as an apartment. That would explain why there is no closet in this ‘bedroom’.)
When we rolled up the vinyl, we discovered that they had used newspapers to level out the floor. Hello Post Bulletin from the summer of 1967. (In fact, we found a lot of newspapers, dating between 1955 and 1967, so stay tuned for another blog post with details and lots of pictures!)
Once the vinyl was rolled up and the newspapers were collected, we were delighted to see that the hard wood floor was nearly unblemished! Thank goodness their kitchen hadn’t been plumbed!
Next, we moved on to the bathroom. Remember the beautiful carpet that was in there?
When that came out, it left behind the rubber-backed portion, in a fine black dust, that was stuck to a layer of vinyl and more newspapers. But once that was removed, look at the amazing wood floor! It has a fantastic weathered gray color. I just love it!
Finally, it was time to tackle the master bedroom at the front of the house. Under the carpet and pad, we found a huge sheet of vintage vinyl. It was nailed down in a few places so Kurt had to work himself under it to get it to let go. It was pretty hilarious to watch him disappear under a blanket of old floor.
Once we started rolling it up, we found buried treasure! Another layer of vinyl, and this one was much more colorful!
So, we carefully rolled that one up to. And look what we found under that layer! A lovely wood floor with fantastic old vent!
Now look at all our vintage vinyl flooring! We carefully carried it downstairs and stood it up in the garage. (My next project is to find someone who would like to buy it.)
But tearing out vinyl wasn’t our only accomplishment yesterday. We also removed all of the tack strip that was used to hold the carpet down around the edges of the rooms and on the stairs.
I also pulled out all the carpet staples from the stairs, and gave the whole place a nice vacuuming. Kurt even checked out the attic. There weren’t any big bags of money or hidden pieces of fine art up there so he decided he didn’t want to explore further.
Instead he and the shop vac headed to the basement for an hour and a half of clearing cob webs and sucking up dust and who knows what. (Better him than me!) I spent that time in the dining room, scraping off wallpaper.
I was happy to see that the old plaster is in very good condition!
So, activities at the Berg are moving right along. It’s starting to look like somewhere people might want to come visit. After a little more cleaning and fresh air, we should have all the creepiness out of it.